It’s easy to land in a dilemma while choosing the right type of roof tiles for your home. These tiles have a role beyond protecting your home from the elements of nature. The right choice of roof tiles largely defines the aesthetics and visual appeal of your home.
Homeowners in the UK can choose from different types of roof tiles. Considering factors like affordability, looks, and durability, you need to choose the right type of tiles for your home.
This is a comprehensive guide for you that should help you know about all the roof tiles types. This way, you can settle for the right type of roof tiles to balance functionality and aesthetics.
Different types of roof tiles to choose from
Have a look at the common types of roof tiles in the UK that you can go for.
Concrete roof tiles
Concrete tiles continue to be the best pick for a majority of UK homes. The versatility, strength, durability, and affordability of these tiles make them the first choice.
Concrete tiles for roofs are made from a mixture of sand, cement, and water. It is easy to customize concrete tiles according to the desired shape.
Most importantly, you can use concrete tiles in your home to replicate the looks of slate tiles. Given that the latter is expensive, you have a more cost-effective solution with concrete tiles.
Concrete tiles are extremely durable and resistant to fire. Besides, their resistance to extreme weather conditions makes them highly popular in the UK.
Clay roof tiles
Clay roof tiles are being traditionally used in homes for centuries. These tiles continue to retain popularity due to their timeless beauty and durability.
As the name suggests, clay times are made from natural clay. You can distinguish them by their reddish-brown color. Homeowners in the UK appreciate the rustic charm of clay times.
The thermal insulation that clay tiles offer makes them a great choice for warmer areas. These tiles are also immune to insect damage and rot, making them a long-lasting solution for your roof.
With these tiles on your roof, you need not worry about maintenance. Besides, clay tiles can withstand adverse weather conditions for years. No wonder, why clay tiles are being extensively used in both modern and traditional homes across the country.
Natural slate roof tiles
Slate roof tiles are noted for their elegance and sophistication. So, if you have a refined aesthetic sense and want a visually pleasing material on your roof, go for natural slate roof tiles. These types of roof tiles complement the high-end architecture, infusing your property with the essence of aristocracy and grandeur.
The ability to customize slate tiles makes them ideal for different types of homes. These tiles come in different colours, such as black, grey, purple, and green. Slate tiles are known for their low water absorption, long durability, and resistance to weathering and fading.
Besides, natural slate roof tiles are fireproof and you don’t need to break the bank trying to keep them in proper shape. However, these are high-end tiles and prove to be more expensive compared to other types of roof tiles.
Metal roof tiles
Many contemporary homes in the UK have metal roof tiles. The durability, chic appearance, and energy efficiency of metal tiles make them a prime choice.
Usually, metals like copper, steel, and aluminium are used in these tiles. The easy customization feature makes it easy to design metal roof tiles in different shapes. For instance, homeowners can choose from shingles, interlocking roof tiles, and panels. Thus, you have plenty of design options to pick from.
Metal tiles are gaining popularity due to their high resistance to fire and lightweight nature. Properly installed, metal roof tiles can serve your home for several decades. These tiles also require little maintenance. Moreover, these tiles are environmentally friendly since they can be recycled.
Asphalt shingles or roof tiles are being used extensively due to their versatility and affordability. Unlike concrete or most other types of roof tiles, these tiles are easy to install. Moreover, you can customize these tiles, choosing from a wide plethora of styles and colours.
Asphalt shingles consist of an organic or fibreglass mat coated with asphalt and mineral granules. Thus, they offer significant resistance to fire. Moreover, asphalt tiles are durable and are capable of moderate weather conditions in the UK. One of the drawbacks of asphalt tiles is their relatively shorter lifespan compared to metal or concrete tiles.
Which type of roof tile would be ideal for your home?
Choosing the right type of roof tiles for your home is of paramount importance. Here are some of the factors to consider before finalizing your decision.
- Climate: What type of climate does your locality experience throughout the year? Consult one of the reputed tile installation companies while deciding on the material. If you reside somewhere with frequent hailstorms or heavy snowfall, you need weather-resistant and durable materials. Metal or concrete tiles would serve your purpose in these situations.
- Aesthetics: Have you considered the architectural style of your home? Along with climate, you also need to think of the colour, texture, and style that would blend with your home. This way, you can boost the curb appeal of your property.
- Maintenance and durability: How frequently can you clean the tiles or afford to shell out repair costs? When you install roof tiles, consider factors like durability and maintenance. Clay and slate tiles, for instance, deliver both aesthetics and a long lifespan.
- Ease of installation: Consider how easily you can get the tiles installed on your roof. Not all roof tiles require the same level of expertise to be installed. This largely results in a difference in the installation cost. Some materials, on the other hand, need additional reinforcement or specialized techniques for installation.
- Cost of the tiles: Even as you prioritize durability and aesthetics, it’s important to get the roof installed within your budget. Installing some roof tiles involve a higher upfront cost. However, they deliver the benefit over the decades with a long lifespan. This can potentially save you lots of money over time.
Rather than considering your roof tiles as simply functional blocks of your home, think from the architectural and aesthetic perspectives too. Choosing the right times for your roof amplifies the elegance of the structure.
Therefore, it pays to consult professional tile installers to create a stunning roof. While your visitors would appreciate the aristocracy of your home, you would benefit from the versatility and long lifespan of these tiles. Prioritize your budget, style preferences, and specific needs before finalizing the best type of roof tiles for your home.