Kitchen sinks come in various sizes, but there are some standard dimensions to consider. The most common kitchen sink sizes are designed to fit into standard base cabinets, which are typically 30 inches or 36 inches wide.
A typical 33 x 22-inch sink will fill a 36-inch base cabinet. The standard sink size ranges from 22 inches long to 30 inches wide.
Kitchen sinks also come in small (roughly 14 ⅝” by 15 ¾”), medium (roughly 21 ⅛” by 15 ¾”), and large (roughly 28 ⅞” by 15 ¾”) sizes.
The depth of a kitchen sink should be at least 7 to 7.25 inches deep. When choosing a kitchen sink, it’s essential to consider the available space and the design of your kitchen.
If you’re replacing an existing sink, make sure the new sink fits the existing cutout. Some double bowl models can range up to 48 inches in length.
The width of a standard kitchen sink is usually around 22 inches. Keep in mind that there are also non-standard sizes available for more bespoke needs.
What Are The Dimensions Of A Small-Sized Kitchen Sink?
The dimensions of a small-sized kitchen sink can vary, but they are typically around 14 ⅝ inches in width by 15 ¾ inches in length.
Small kitchen sinks usually have a single bowl and are perfect for studio apartments and tiny houses. However, compact sinks can also measure up to 24 inches across.
The height of the cabinet can be customized, but 36 inches is average, and a typical 33 x 22-inch sink will fill a 36-inch base cabinet.
The IKEA Norrsjön Kitchen Sink comes in various sizes with overall widths between 14.625” to 28.875” (37-73 cm) and common depths of 17.25” (44 cm).
Is There A Recommended Depth For A Kitchen Sink Other Than 7 To 7.25 Inches?
There is no specific recommended depth for a kitchen sink other than the standard depth range of 7 to 7.25 inches. However, the depth of a kitchen sink can vary depending on the type of sink and personal preference.
For example, farmhouse sinks and those with double bowls are typically longer and may have a deeper depth.
When choosing a kitchen sink, it is important to consider the length, width, and depth to ensure a proper fit in the existing cabinets.
Can You Provide Examples Of Non-Standard Sizes For Kitchen Sinks?
There are several non-standard sizes for kitchen sinks, including:
- Farmhouse sinks: These sinks have a wide expanse and a deep bowl with an exposed front.
They can average 18 to 20 inches deep and anywhere from 20 to 60 inches long.
- Prep sinks: These smaller sinks are typically 24 inches long and are designed to be installed in a kitchen island to aid in food preparation.
- Compact sinks: These sinks are slightly smaller and shallower than a standard kitchen sink, measuring around 29.5 x 18.1 x 7.1 inches.
- Custom sizes: Some manufacturers offer custom sizes for kitchen sinks to fit specific needs or preferences.
Are There Any Special Considerations When Replacing An Existing Sink With A New One?
Yes, there are special considerations when replacing an existing sink with a new one.
Here are some tips:
- Measure the opening: Before removing the existing sink, measure the opening from underneath. Measure all four sides because the cutout may not be square. Pay special attention to the corners.
- Turn off the water supply: Reach under the sink and find the knob that turns off the water supply. After turning the knob, test the faucet to ensure the water supply is properly shut off.
- Disconnect the supply lines and drainpipe: Using an adjustable wrench, disconnect the supply lines and the drainpipe that attaches to the house sewage system. Drain any remaining water and put a bucket beneath the sink.
- Consider the tailpiece: If you want to choose a new sink with a deeper basin than the existing sink has, measure the tailpiece first. If it hangs down too low, it won’t drain properly and you’ll have to lower the sanitary tee connection in the drain line inside the wall.
- Check the disposer drainpipe: If the disposer drainpipe will be too low, consider a sink with different depth bowls. You’ll have a deep bowl for dishes and a shallow one for the disposer.
- Choose the right sink: Consider the size, shape, and material of the new sink. Make sure it fits the existing countertop opening and complements the overall design of the kitchen.
What Are The Dimensions Of A Double Bowl Kitchen Sink?
The dimensions of a double-bowl kitchen sink can vary depending on the model. According to the search results, some double bowl models range up to 48 inches in width.
The length of most models with double bowls on the market can range from 30 inches to 48 inches. The depth of the sink can also vary depending on the model.